fredag 16. desember 2011

The secrets of the world are contained in books



En av de beste tingene med at jeg ikke er student lenger er at jeg kan lese akkurat de bøkene jeg har lyst til å lese. Her er noen av bøkene jeg har lest i det siste :

Paper Towns av John Green

"A paper town for a paper girl"

“Maybe all the strings inside him broke.”

"It is so hard to leave — until you leave. And then it's the easiest goddamned thing in the world."

"Each of us starts out as a watertight vessel. And these things happen — these people leave us, or don't love us, or don't get us, or we don't get them, and we lose and fail and hurt one another."

"Isn't it also that on some fundamental level we find it difficult to understand that other people are human beings in the same way that we are? We idealize them as gods or dismiss them as animals."

"What a treacherous thing to believe that a person is more than a person"

"Nothing ever happens like you imagine it will... But then again, if you don't imagine, nothing ever happens at all."

"I'm not saying that everything is survivable. Just that everything except the last thing is"


Special Topics in Calamity Physics av Marisha Pessl

“…You couldn’t pretend the terrible things in life didn’t happen. You can’t clean it up. You keep all the refuse and the scars. It’s how you learn. And try to make improvements.”

“Juliet and Romeo be damned, you can't be in love until you've flossed your teeth next to the person at least three hundred times...”

“One or two individuals in times of crisis turn into Heroes, a handful into Villains, the rest into Fools.”

“When you grow up -and from the look of things, you have awhile - you learn things never go back to normal simply because everyone's sorry. Sorry is ridiculous.”

"Love conquers all. For centuries upon centuries we have been misinterpreting this famed trio of words. The uninformed masses breathlessly hold up this dwarfish phrase as a justification for snogging in public squares, abandoning wives, cuckolding husbands, for the escalating divorce rate, for swards of bastard children begging for handouts in the Whitechapel and Aldgate tube stations - when in fact, there is nothing remotely encouraging or cheerful about this often quoted phrase.

The Latin poet wrote ‘Amor vincit omnia’ or ‘Love conquers all’. He did not write, ‘Love frees all’ or ‘liberates’ all, and therein lies the first degree of our flagrant misunderstanding. Conquer: to defeat, subjugate, massacre, cream, make mincemeat out of. Surely this cannot be a positive thing. And then he wrote, ‘conquers all’ - not exclusively the unpleasant things, destitution, assassination, burglary, but all, including pleasure, peace, common sense, liberty and self-determination. And thus we may appreciate that Virgil’s words are not encouragement, but rather a caveat, a cue to evade, shirk, elude the feeling at all costs, else we risk the massacre of the things we hold most dear, including ones sense of self”


The bell jar av Sylvia Plath

"I felt my lungs inflate with the onrush of scenery—air, mountains, trees, people. I thought, 'This is what it is to be happy.' "

“If you expect nothing from anybody, you’re never disappointed”

“…I felt dreadfully inadequate. The trouble was, I had been inadequate all along, I simply hadn’t thought about it.”

"I didn’t know why I was going to cry, but I knew that if anybody spoke to me or looked at me too closely the tears would fly out of my eyes and the sobs would fly out of my throat and I’d cry for a week. I could feel the tears brimming and sloshing in me like water in a glass that is unsteady and too full.”

“I took a deep breath and listened to the old brag of my heart. I am, I am, I am.”


Will Grayson, Will Grayson av John Green og David Levithan

"I don’t want to screw you, I just love you. When did who you want to screw become the whole game? Since when is the person you want to screw the only person you get to love? I mean, Jesus, who even gives a fuck about sex?! People act like it’s the most important thing humans do, but come on. How can our sentient fucking lives revolve around something slugs can do?"

"Even though I tell myself I’m feeling nothing, it’s a lie"

“You like someone who can’t like you back because unrequited love can be survived in a way that once-requited love cannot.”

"I am constantly torn between killing myself and killing everyone around me"

“I think about how much depends upon a best friend. When you wake up in the morning you swing your legs out of bed and you put your feet on the ground and you stand up. You don’t scoot to the edge of the bed and look down to make sure the floor is there. The floor is always there. Until it's not"


An Abundance of Katherines av John Green

“You don't remember what happened. What you remember becomes what happened.”

“If people could see me the way I see myself - if they could live in my memories - would anyone, anyone, love me?”

"Crying adds something: crying is you, plus tears. But the feeling Colin had was some horrible opposite of crying. It was you, minus something."

"She was incredibly hot - in that popular girl with bleached teeth and anorexia kind of way".

"You can love someone so much, he thought. But you can never love people as much as you can miss them."

“Everywhere man blames nature and fate, yet his fate is mostly but the echo of his character, and passions, his mistakes, and weaknesses."

"If the future is forever, then eventually it will swallow us all up".


Speed til frokost av Frode Sander Øien

"Det er vinter i Oslo. Jeg tråkker gjennom snøen i gatene, den som ikke er hvit lenger, men grå, jeg har hørt at det er dette de lærer barna på skolen nå, de har gitt etter for virkeligheten, hvit snø er som å tro på julenissen, snøen er grå, det er bare å se ut av vinduet, ingen grunn til å late som noe annet."

"Vi bor i en oppbevaringsboks. En pappeske noen har klippet hull i. Det er ikke meningen at man skal leve her, man skal bare sitte stille med hendene i fanget, forsøke å ikke visne, mens man venter på å dø. Noen er heldige. De vinner i lotto. Eller i kjærlighet. Det er den eneste veien ut herfra".

"Noen burde tappe henne på flaske og selge henne på apoteket. Den perfekte medisin mot mismot og generell ulykkelighet"

"Siv snakker mest til terapeuten. Hun sier at hun føler vi har glidd fra hverandre. At hun ikke får den plassen hun trenger. Terapeuten ser på meg og spør hva jeg mener, og jeg sier at jeg er enig, selv om jeg ikke helt vet hva Siv snakker om. Jeg har aldri følt meg så nære noen i hele mitt liv. Jeg nikker fordi ting ikke skal bli enda verre. Hvis jeg bare er enig i alt, kommer dette sikkert til å gå fint".

"-Skulle du ikke spørre meg?
Herregud, ikke vær så egoistisk, sier hun som het Siv for litt siden."

"Jeg setter sammen bitene, ulike fragmenter av historien svever ned fra stjernene, faller på plass mellom vinglassene, jeg skal ikke si at jeg ikke har tenkt på det før, jeg har ikke gjort annet, men av og til er det bedre å glemme ting man ikke forstår, enn å la det svømme rundt i kroppen som små dyr som har lyst til å spise deg".

"Livet mitt er et puslespill. Jeg har en pose med brikker men jeg aner ikke hvordan jeg skal sette dem sammen, eller om det går i det hele tatt".

"Jeg legger baconet i midten på tallerkenen, så det blir en munn, et helt ansikt er det nå, jeg blir ganske fornøyd med meg selv, det ser fint ut. Mamma elsker egg og bacon, men ikke i dag. I dag er det noe feil med grisen. Den svetter visst ikke. Det kommer urin i maten. Hun har sett det på tv. Ingen vits i å ha mat på bordet som grisen har tisset i. Det går det jo ikke an å spise, såpass skjønner jeg. Jeg føler meg litt dum. Jeg burde ha visst at bacon ikke er bra".

"Jeg er ikke en ferskvaredisk i en delikatesseforretning. Du kan ikke bare forsyne deg av de tingene du syns er bra, og la resten av meg ligge. Det er ikke kjærlighet"


Og akkurat nå leser jeg The book thief av Markus Zusak

***HERE IS A SMALL FACT ***
You are going to die.

I am in all truthfulness attempting to be cheerful about this whole topic, though most people find themselves hindered in believing me, no matter my protestations. Please, trust me. I most definitely can be cheerful. I can be amiable. Agreeable. Affable. And that's only the A's. Just don't ask me to be nice. Nice has nothing to do with me."

“Somewhere, far down, there was an itch in his heart, but he made it a point not to scratch it. He was afraid of what might come leaking out.”


Forøvrig anbefaler jeg alle å lese Speed til frokost, samt alt av John Green. Han skriver fantastisk morsomt, spennende og trist på en gang.

2 kommentarer:

ingo sa...

Jeg leser jo den av Marisha Pessl nå, bare på norsk, og bare at jeg har brukt over en mnd på å lese 200 sider, men altså, jeg leser den haha.

Flomp sa...

Ja, når jeg leste den føltes det som om jeg leste og leste og aldri kom i mål :P Det er jo en gedigen bok. Men jeg likte den :)